Planning application at 1186 Toorak Road Camberwell VIC 3124

Judy Brown sent a message to Phillip Healey.

To
Phillip Healey
From
Judy Brown
Subject
Planning application at 1186 Toorak Road Camberwell VIC 3124
Date
Jan. 18, 2017, 9:03 p.m.
Come on, more developers wanting reduction of carparking facilities! Have any councillors or council employees ever tried driving up this section of Toorak Rd? It is a nightmare, a bottleneck with cars parked and parking, tram, Hartwell junction and several traffic light junctions all converging together in a very short area.
This area is fast becoming an area for more and more office developments and dwellings, workers, home owners and visitors need adequate parking. Suburban streets and major thoroughfares can no longer take up the extra parking as it is choking the flow of our city.
Car parking should be maintained at all costs, it should be a non negotiable item in all developments for the amenity of all neighbours and those in our community.

From Judy Brown to local councillor Phillip Healey

=========================================================================

Judy Brown posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Judy Brown and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 1186 Toorak Road Camberwell VIC 3124

Description: Development a building comprising of office and ten dwellings, and reduction in the car parking requirement

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/768716?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Phillip Healey
Date
Jan. 18, 2017, 10 p.m.
Hi Judy,

I share your frustrations!

First of all, the developers, will most often try to maximise their yield in anyway they can. To me it does not make sense to scrimp on quality because I truly believe people will pay for quality in our area.

My experience is that Councillors usually identify a car parking waiver request as a symptom of an over development and treat it so. Our planning office will rarely support a waiver of parking. There are technical uses of the term which sometimes don't result in a real reduction, they are rare and usually linked to change of use applications. They sometimes get support.

As to the Zone Controls, well we had mandatory heights in most parts of Boroondara, but Richard Wynne removed them down the spine of Boroondara between Christmas and Near Year 2015 when most people where oblivious to the action.

Due to successive planning ministers we have not been given the controls we need in the scheme to fulfil the outcomes you describe, which are entirely consistent with Council's aspirations and request.

My own discussions with applicants is to encourage them to commence their application meeting the requirements. I urge those reading this to approach us this way because it makes for the fastest approval.

The vast majority of applications are incomplete and non compliant on the day they arrive. Most pushing the envelope. Some use this as a mechanism to get to VCAT as soon as the can.

So while we have no control over the applications, we do have control over what we approve. When applications are advertised they usually carry the wording from the application form. Advertising does not equate to approval.

I share your concerns, and we do our utmost to get the best outcome we can on each application. Sometimes that leads to refusal, sometimes to VCAT where more than half of what we decide is upheld. Most applications get an outcome with conditions to protect local amenity.

Regards

Phillip
´╗┐