To
Jane Addis
From
Rena
Subject
Planning application at 126 Union Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127
Date
Nov. 27, 2017, 11 p.m.
Extremely disappointing, frustrating and blood boiling. Put in an application for an inappropriate development that residents object to. Go through the motion of consulting and negotiating with Council and residents to come up with a proposal that is reluctantly agreed to. And then come in and do whatever you want. The heritage facade and the protection of the trees were critical to ensuring that this development at least maintained some of the character of the Surrey Hills Village. Surely experts were engaged in the consultation process to ensure that the facade could be maintained and that no trees would need to be removed. What happened? What is the Council going to do about it? How will these offences be rectified?

From Rena to local councillor Jane Addis

=========================================================================

Rena posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Rena and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 126 Union Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127

Description: Post RequestBuildings and works to construct a supermarket (including a fence, awning and road works) pursuant to Clauses 34.01-4, 43.01-1, 43.02-2 and 44.05-1; Externally alter a building; and full and partial demolition of the existing buildings.

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/843125?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Jane Addis
Date
Dec. 7, 2017, 5:32 a.m.
Hello Rena

I understand your frustration.

The wall was required to be removed because it was found to be structurally unstable.

Council did endeavour to get the best outcome at VCAT it could with this development. You may recall that we did not support the original proposal. Please note that matters such as structural stability are not able to be taken into account at the planning application stage. Planning considerations are limited to matters such as car parking, traffic, amenity impacts and how a building fits into the streetscape. Sometimes structural issues do not become apparent until construction commences, as is the case here. In these circumstances, safety must come first. Please note that the developer will be required and has agreed to reconstruct the wall using as many salvaged bricks as possible, under the supervision of an architectural heritage consultant.

The street tree was assessed by Council's arborist as being affected by decay and having a poor structure that was not able to be corrected by pruning and was therefore removed by Council's contractors. A new tree is scheduled to be planted and this will occur during winter in the 2018 planting season.

Jane Addis
Councillor - Maling Ward

8 Inglesby Rd, Camberwell, Victoria, 3124
City of Boroondara
Telephone: (03) 9835 7845 | Mobile: 0409 267 902

Web: www.boroondara.vic.gov.au

Integrity I Collaboration I Accountability I Innovation I Respect