To
Jane Addis
From
Cam
Subject
Planning application at 126 Union Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127
Date
Dec. 1, 2017, 11:21 a.m.
There is no doubt that it was declared unsafe and had to be removed to protect the public. But it wasnt safe when they started works. They have removed to much of the supporting structure behind the wall, and failed to provide proper temporary support during the works. It was only then that the wall became unsafe. It would be nieve to think that this was beyond their control. The structural engineer should be able to establish why it had become unsafe. I would like to hear that opinion.

As for benefit. Building a new wall is far cheaper than supporting and building around an old one. Like I said, it is the oldest excuse in the book.

From Cam to local councillor Jane Addis

=========================================================================

Cam posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Cam and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 126 Union Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127

Description: Post RequestBuildings and works to construct a supermarket (including a fence, awning and road works) pursuant to Clauses 34.01-4, 43.01-1, 43.02-2 and 44.05-1; Externally alter a building; and full and partial demolition of the existing buildings.

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/843125?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Jane Addis
Date
Dec. 7, 2017, 5:34 a.m.
Hello Cam

Council did endeavour to get the best outcome at VCAT it could with this development. You may recall that we did not support the original proposal.

Please note that matters such as structural stability are not able to be taken into account at the planning application stage. Planning considerations are limited to matters such as car parking, traffic, amenity impacts and how a building fits into the streetscape. Sometimes structural issues do not become apparent until construction commences, as is the case here. In these circumstances, safety must come first.

Please note that the developer will be required and has agreed to reconstruct the wall using as many salvaged bricks as possible, under the supervision of an architectural heritage consultant.

Regards
Jane Addis
Councillor - Maling Ward

8 Inglesby Rd, Camberwell, Victoria, 3124
City of Boroondara
Telephone: (03) 9835 7845 | Mobile: 0409 267 902

Web: www.boroondara.vic.gov.au

Integrity I Collaboration I Accountability I Innovation I Respect
´╗┐