Planning application at 126 Union Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127

Bridget Larkin sent a message to Jane Addis.

To
Jane Addis
From
Bridget Larkin
Subject
Planning application at 126 Union Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127
Date
Dec. 2, 2017, 5:24 a.m.
If the supposed experts had viewed this site the facade should have been supported in a manner that was safe for all concerned. So much of the structure was removed without any consideration for preservation of the beautiful frontage until suddenly ‘it’s unsafe’ ......what s cop out! Neglectful to the area and a deliberate disregard for the neighbourhood. The builders erecting the new structure are probably not even capable of reproducing such a lovely wall, even if they required to - skills they just don’t have. The developers are all about greed, quick & cheap structure- have a look around the local area. Individual pretty houses are being demolished to make way for massive characterless bulk & very little green space, old trees sawed down regardless - simply deemed inconvenient. Council need to demand more integrity.

From Bridget Larkin to local councillor Jane Addis

=========================================================================

Bridget Larkin posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Bridget Larkin and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 126 Union Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127

Description: Post RequestBuildings and works to construct a supermarket (including a fence, awning and road works) pursuant to Clauses 34.01-4, 43.01-1, 43.02-2 and 44.05-1; Externally alter a building; and full and partial demolition of the existing buildings.

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/843125?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Jane Addis
Date
Dec. 7, 2017, 6:59 a.m.
Hello Brigit

Council did endeavour to get the best outcome at VCAT that it could with this development. You may recall that we did not support the original proposal.

Please note that matters such as structural stability are not able to be taken into account at the planning application stage. Planning considerations are limited to matters such as car parking, traffic, amenity impacts and how a building fits into the streetscape. Sometimes structural issues do not become apparent until construction commences, as is the case here. In these circumstances, safety must come first. Please note that the developer will be required and has agreed to reconstruct the wall using as many salvaged bricks as possible, under the supervision of an architectural heritage consultant.

Jane Addis
Councillor - Maling Ward

8 Inglesby Rd, Camberwell, Victoria, 3124
City of Boroondara
Telephone: (03) 9835 7845 | Mobile: 0409 267 902

Web: www.boroondara.vic.gov.au

Integrity I Collaboration I Accountability I Innovation I Respect