Jane Addis
From
Celine F
Subject
Planning application at 126 Union Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127
Date
April 27, 2018, 3:57 a.m.
Dear Jane
It has come to our attention that there will be a self cleaning toilet placed on Croydon Road Surrey Hills, in the location where an established tree was recently removed which you claim in your comment above 5 months ago was due to decay as stated by the Council arborist, which I note coincidentally and conveniently allows Coles greater access to its work site. Fortunately, for our community, it does not appear that any other tree other than the tree presumably obstructing access has been deemed in need of removal, of which we are thankful.

That said, in spite of your assurance above, that a tree will be replanted to replace the tree removed and I quote from your comment 'A new tree is scheduled to be planted and this will occur during winter in the 2018 planting season' it appears now that Council is replacing the tree with a self cleaning public toilet. This is dissapointing on many fronts, including the necessity of having a public toilet in what is still, a quiet residential street.

Boroondara City Council has been known to be a Council that is strict on preserving the culture and landscape of its residential streets. It remains a Council that is well served by voters who take pride in the heritage of their streetscapes and homes and this is evidenced by the heritage overlays in many of the Council's electorates. I urge you not to allow self cleaning public toilets on residential streets irrespective of whether regulatory or planning laws allow this to occur, it opens up a flood gates for other developers to do so, throughout Boroondara. For obvious reasons, this will not be acceptable to most.

It would also be useful if you could provide us with a copy of the Arborist report regarding the decay in the tree.

From Celine F to local councillor Jane Addis

=========================================================================

Celine F posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Celine F and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 126 Union Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127

Description: Post RequestBuildings and works to construct a supermarket (including a fence, awning and road works) pursuant to Clauses 34.01-4, 43.01-1, 43.02-2 and 44.05-1; Externally alter a building; and full and partial demolition of the existing buildings.

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/843125?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Jane Addis
Date
April 28, 2018, 8:43 a.m.
Hello Celine

In response to the points you raise:

Council has not yet made a decision. We are at the stage of seeking feedback through community consultation. After this is completed resident's and trader's responses will be carefully considered.

The intention continues to be that a replacement tree will be planted at the appropriate time in the vicinity of the tree that required removal.

I am unsure what you mean when you write: "I urge you not to allow self cleaning public toilets on residential streets irrespective of whether regulatory or planning laws allow this to occur, it opens up a flood gates for other developers to do so, throughout Boroondara." I cannot imagine that developers would seek to build public toilets on residential streets.

Thanks for your email and regards

Jane Addis
Councillor - Maling Ward

8 Inglesby Rd, Camberwell, 3124
(03) 9835 7845 | 0409 267 902

Our community vision:
A vibrant and inclusive city meeting the needs and aspirations of its community
´╗┐