Jane Addis
From
Celine F
Subject
Planning application at 126 Union Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127
Date
April 30, 2018, 12:31 p.m.
Dear Jane

Thank you for your prompt response. I am heartened to hear that you are still seeking public opinion on this issue, and that this is not a foregone conclusion as a number of us felt at the public consultations for the streetscape (not necessarily the toilet) last Saturday - I understand that the traders on Union Road have had a couple of consultations with Council. We, the residents, also look forward to having similar discourse with you. Please notify us of a suitable time and date, preferably with at least one week's notice.

I seek to clarify my comment above regarding allowing self cleaning toilets in residential streets - as you are probably able to discern that this was an inadvertent error, but in case not, I will clarify that if Council were to allow a toilet in a residential street, then this could result in a foodgates of public toilets on residential streets in many parts of Boroondara, as suburbs like Hawthorn, Camberwell junction, Hawthorn East have commercial precincts much larger than Surrey Hills. I would urge the residents of all these suburbs to have careful consideration of how the toilets are placed in this scenario as the impact would be larger than just for Surrey Hills. I would be very surprised if there are many residents on any street in Boroondara that would be receptive of a public toilet on their street. In short, there should never be public toilets on residential streets in Boroondara, and Council should know this, without the need for public consultation, especially in our instance where there are Surrey Hill station toilets.

I also submit that if a toilet were necessary, the toilet should be located at the back of the neighbourhood house, which is a Council operated and owned land. The neighbourhood house is in a central position and can be accessed by Union Road and Bedford Street. Concerns about being able to locate the public toilet at the back of this property is easily fixed with proper signage on Union Road and Bedford Street. I further submit that it by having a public toilet accesible during the weekends, and after hours on site, shows compliance with the neighbourhood house's standards required by Department of Human Services as part of their funding to neighbourhood houses. At present, there is no public toilet available after hours or during the weekends (unless there is a function). This does not cater towards people using the courtyard after hours and it would be much more inclusive if there was a toilet available to be used on site at all times. I wish to also highlight that (1) there is a public toilet just outside of the newly renovated Balwyn library and next to McDonalds. Like to like purpose, a public toilet should be placed near a community oriented area. Neighbourhood Centre is therefore a better choice of location. (2) The Sunday market held at St Andrew's Church (Across from Zimt), Music Festival and occasional twilight markets are the events that the public toilets will be in great need. Hence placing the public toilet outside of the Neighbourhood Centre is the ideal location.

I understood from your comments at the public consultation on Saturday that some retailers were keen to have a public toilet in spite of the one in Surrey Hills station. We are a very close knit community at Surrey Hills, and the local community are the main supporters of our retail village. We recommend that a public consultation with residents be held with the retailers to discuss the issue of the toilet in consultation with Council. Perhaps they may agree that they may better served with a toilet in the neighbourhood house, if at all.

From Celine F to local councillor Jane Addis

=========================================================================

Celine F posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Celine F and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 126 Union Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127

Description: Post RequestBuildings and works to construct a supermarket (including a fence, awning and road works) pursuant to Clauses 34.01-4, 43.01-1, 43.02-2 and 44.05-1; Externally alter a building; and full and partial demolition of the existing buildings.

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/843125?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Jane Addis
Date
May 11, 2018, 7:24 a.m.
Hello Celine

Here are some answers to your questions and comments.

As far as I know there have not been any meetings with traders, certainly not that I have attended. The only meeting I attended was held at Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre and largely involved those from SHNC and I think one person from the SH Progress Association.

At this stage Council wants to wait until after the consultation period, and when we have a better idea of community sentiment before arranging any further discussions.

Over time, Council aims to make a public toilet available in all medium sized/large shopping centres, and typically this is accommodated within the commercial area. When a toilet was installed within the Maling Road shopping centre the only site that was available was within the commercial section of a side street (Bryson Street) that contained residences beyond the commercial section of the street. This is very similar to the site being considered at Union Road, although I understand that the Croydon Road site is closer to Union Road than the Bryson Street site is to Maling Road.

One of the considerations when choosing a site for a public toilet is that it should be within an area where people will be regularly walking by. This is for safety reasons. The more secluded parking area behind the SHNC is not considered ideal for this reason.

The requests that I am aware of for a public toilet have been more from residents than from retailers.

In conclusion, Council has not made a decision about the site for the toilet and further consideration will not be undertaken until the consultation period is over.

Regards

Jane Addis
Councillor - Maling Ward

8 Inglesby Rd, Camberwell, 3124
(03) 9835 7845 | 0409 267 902

Our community vision:
A vibrant and inclusive city meeting the needs and aspirations of its community
´╗┐