Planning application at 172-184 Roden Street West Melbourne VIC 3003

Andrew Zunica sent a message to Rohan Leppert.

To
Rohan Leppert
From
Andrew Zunica
Subject
Planning application at 172-184 Roden Street West Melbourne VIC 3003
Date
June 28, 2016, 12:29 a.m.
To whom it may concern,

The site at 172 Roden Street is a prime example of all that's wrong with the application of the planning process in West Melbourne. I sincerely hope this site does not prove to be yet another example of the poor approach of the City of Melbourne to encourage and support clever and creative development opportunities that enhance and revive communities without destroying what makes them unique.

Here we have an opportunity to redevelop an exemplary art deco warehouse building into a character filled residential development through creative opportunities for adaptive re-use and refurbishment of existing structures.

Instead there are plans for partial demolition of this iconic West Melbourne structure to be replaced by an 8 story version of what I suspect will be the same bland poorly planned apartment complexes that are beginning to litter this unique part of Melbourne. Even before viewing the plans I object to this development for;

1 - doubling the 4 story overlay
2 - demolition of the existing structure
3 - reduction in parking requirements

I hope to be wrong, but I suspect once the plans and blueprints become available for public viewing I will object to the development for;

1 - poorly planned sub standard apartment layouts
2 - destruction of residential character

West Melbourne has an interesting past that should be respected and used as an opportunity to create an attractive residential hub on the doorstep of the city. Knocking down iconic herritage structures that make communities and suburbs unique IS NOT THE WAY FORWARD. The Melbourne City Council have a responsibility to the residents of this suburb and the greater city area to balance the need for housing and redevelopment with a desire to protect, encourage and maintain what makes these unique inner city villages special. These objectives are not mutually exclusive, as has been proven time and time and time again by clever planning and considered architectural integration as viewed through countless case studies across the globe and even Australia.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who can explain to me the thought process behind this mindless and senseless development. We can do so much better, and I will be campaigning very strongly for a much higher standard of design and redevelopment outcome throughout this unique residential stretch of West Melbourne.

Regards
Andrew Zunica

From Andrew Zunica to local councillor Rohan Leppert

=========================================================================

Andrew Zunica posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Andrew Zunica and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 172-184 Roden Street West Melbourne VIC 3003

Description: Proposed partial demolition of existing buidling, construction of 8 storey residential building with reduction of parking requirements

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/681888?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Rohan Leppert,
Date
June 29, 2016, 2:26 a.m.
Thanks Andrew

I'm afraid I can't explain the thought process behind the development! Haven't spoken to the developer (and won't) and nor have I seen the full plans yet.

The DDO is reasonably clear, so on the face of it the application is pushing the envelope. I'll need to wait for the planning officer's assessment before I can express a view on the application and the recommended response to that application, but I'll be sure to keep a close eye on its progress.

The Heritage issues are always difficult to predict until a full assessment of all aspects of the application are undertaken, particularly when the building is in a precinct overlay as this one is. Again, I'll keep a close eye on it and scrutinise the recommendation closely.

(This application will be assessed in accordance with the planning scheme as it is today. The West Melbourne Heritage Review and West Melbourne Structure Plan will ultimately change the controls in the area - but this will be after this application has been assessed, unfortunately. I am using both the heritage and structure plan processes to advocate for finer grain controls, more individualised heritage protection, and stronger built form requirements to ensure sensitive transition to lower rise and/or heritage residential areas.)

All the best

rohan

Cr Rohan Leppert

Arts and Culture portfolio Chair | Planning portfolio Deputy Chair | City of Melbourne

Melbourne Town Hall, 90 Swanston Street Melbourne | PO Box 1603 Melbourne 3001
T: 61 3 9658 9051 | M: 61 4 2157 8918 | E:
www.melbourne.vic.gov.au | www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/whatson
From
Rohan Leppert
Date
Oct. 12, 2016, 11:36 p.m.
Dear Andrew

The officers have completed assessment of the application, but did so during Council's caretaker period. As such, the decision has been made to issue a notice of decision to grant a permit; this decision was made under delegation without reference to Councillors, per the caretaker provisions. I found out about this after the decision was made -- a frustration, but inevitable given these election period rules.

I understand that there are further setbacks being applied to the 7th and 8th storeys. As an objector, you will be sent a letter stating how you can access the terms of the decision (i.e. The conditions applied to the permit) and your options to review the decision.

All the best

Rohan

Cr Rohan Leppert

Arts and Culture portfolio Chair | Planning portfolio Deputy Chair | City of Melbourne

Melbourne Town Hall, 90 Swanston Street Melbourne<x-apple-data-detectors://1> | PO Box 1603 Melbourne 3001<x-apple-data-detectors://2/0>
T: 61 3 9658 9051<tel:61%203%209658%209051> | M: 61 4 2157 8918<tel:61%204%202157%208918> | E: <blocked::mailto:>
www.melbourne.vic.gov.au<http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/> | www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/whatson<http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/whatson>

On 28 Jun. 2016, at 10:30 am, Andrew Zunica <<mailto:>> wrote:

To whom it may concern,

The site at 172 Roden Street is a prime example of all that's wrong with the application of the planning process in West Melbourne. I sincerely hope this site does not prove to be yet another example of the poor approach of the City of Melbourne to encourage and support clever and creative development opportunities that enhance and revive communities without destroying what makes them unique.

Here we have an opportunity to redevelop an exemplary art deco warehouse building into a character filled residential development through creative opportunities for adaptive re-use and refurbishment of existing structures.

Instead there are plans for partial demolition of this iconic West Melbourne structure to be replaced by an 8 story version of what I suspect will be the same bland poorly planned apartment complexes that are beginning to litter this unique part of Melbourne. Even before viewing the plans I object to this development for;

1 - doubling the 4 story overlay
2 - demolition of the existing structure
3 - reduction in parking requirements

I hope to be wrong, but I suspect once the plans and blueprints become available for public viewing I will object to the development for;

1 - poorly planned sub standard apartment layouts
2 - destruction of residential character

West Melbourne has an interesting past that should be respected and used as an opportunity to create an attractive residential hub on the doorstep of the city. Knocking down iconic herritage structures that make communities and suburbs unique IS NOT THE WAY FORWARD. The Melbourne City Council have a responsibility to the residents of this suburb and the greater city area to balance the need for housing and redevelopment with a desire to protect, encourage and maintain what makes these unique inner city villages special. These objectives are not mutually exclusive, as has been proven time and time and time again by clever planning and considered architectural integration as viewed through countless case studies across the globe and even Australia.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who can explain to me the thought process behind this mindless and senseless development. We can do so much better, and I will be campaigning very strongly for a much higher standard of design and redevelopment outcome throughout this unique residential stretch of West Melbourne.

Regards
Andrew Zunica

From Andrew Zunica to local councillor Rohan Leppert

=========================================================================

Andrew Zunica posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Andrew Zunica and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 172-184 Roden Street West Melbourne VIC 3003

Description: Proposed partial demolition of existing buidling, construction of 8 storey residential building with reduction of parking requirements

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/681888?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
This email is intended solely for the named addressee.
If you are not the addressee indicated please delete it immediately.