Planning application at 2-16 Wynyard Street, Cleveland, QLD

Brian Whitelaw sent a message to Peter Mitchell.

To
Peter Mitchell
From
Brian Whitelaw
Subject
Planning application at 2-16 Wynyard Street, Cleveland, QLD
Date
Sept. 30, 2016, 6:13 a.m.
Hi again Peter,

Thanks for your reply but it raises a few more questions I hope you can answer for me.

You mention freeing up 40 parking spaces, but won't these be used by whatever business takes over the existing Hooker office? Also it appears that the Hooker building/cafe/offices has on site parking for themselves meaning overall nearly 50 car parks will be lost to those wanting to patronise businesses in the eastern part of the CBD.

And I must say that removing koala significant trees and only getting a financial offset is not helping the environment at all. But how much money will be made available for environmental matters directly from this sale and how and when will it be made available?

I would also like to know more of the sale process. Why was this particular piece of well used public property chosen to be sold off? How was the land valued - was there an independent valuation? Was the land offered for sale or put out for tender to the market? If not, how was it determined that the sale price was market value when, as it appears, only one company was given the opportunity to purchase it?

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Brian Whitelaw

From Brian Whitelaw to local councillor Peter Mitchell

=========================================================================

Brian Whitelaw posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Brian Whitelaw and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 2-16 Wynyard Street, Cleveland, QLD

Description: Commercial Office and Refreshment Establishment

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/721074?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Peter Mitchell,
Date
Oct. 3, 2016, 12:19 a.m.
HI Brian,
Starting with your first question:
We have no way of knowing who takes over the old LJ Hooker office space for now.
My opinion is that it is likely they will have fewer staff, and less parking requirements, as real estate has fairly high staff numbers.
I cannot be sure, but I think there will be a net gain in the central area on this one.
The new offices contain all their staff parking on site so I am not sure where your 50 parks loss figure comes from.

Regarding the specifics of how our experts apply the financial contribution of offsets, I will get a formal response from officers.

Regarding your questions on the property sale, I will also get you a formal response from officers. I do know however that the ratepayer received a great sale price considered at the high end of valuation.
From
Peter Mitchell
Date
Oct. 27, 2016, 7:54 a.m.
The offset requirements for the trees classified as Non-Juvenile Koala Habitat Trees is mandated by State Government policy and legislation, as Koalas are a Matter of State Environmental Significance. The relevant legislation and planning policy is the Environmental Offsets Act and the South East Queensland Koala Conservation State Planning Regulatory Provisions.

An applicant has the option of either a financial contribution, onsite offset or a combination of the two. For the development at 2-6 Wynyard Street it is still yet to be confirmed how the offset will be managed. An onsite offset may not be possible. If there is a financial contribution, the amount is paid to Council to administer in a trust account to undertake delivery of an offset (typically this would be conservation or open space land where offset planting will enhance koala habitat).
´╗┐