Planning application at 35 Saltair St, Kings Beach, QLD

Mike Trikilis sent a message to Tim Dwyer.

To
Tim Dwyer
From
Mike Trikilis
Subject
Planning application at 35 Saltair St, Kings Beach, QLD
Date
Jan. 12, 2017, 10:35 a.m.
Dear Tim,

Thank-you so much for your very prompt and informative reply.

We currently live in the Gold Coast Hinterland, and have watched the Gold Coast develop with horror as the skyscrapers each continue to unreasonably impact on the views and amenity of previous developments. There is no end in sight to this, and my hope was to consider a move to Sunshine Coast where we believe the council to be more community focused, and less developer driven.

That is why I was trying to decode the 2014 Sunshine Coast planning scheme "development ensures that there is no unreasonable loss of amenity for surrounding premises ..." it certainly sounds nice, but it seems that in the real world, it does not have much meaning, and no real teeth.

You are 100% correct when you point out that the 1st development of a unit complex which impacted surrounding properties started a precedent that means future development can not be reasonably objected based on a loss of amenity/views... however why bother putting this in the planning scheme at all since the only way anyone could object successfully is if the development is somehow in breach of other planning rules that are not directly related to the loss of surrounding properties amenities/views.

I really hope the people who will be impacted on this development are able to get some compromise from the developer... good luck guys.

Due Diligence is most important, however even that is not enough to predict how close to a front/side/real boundary a unit complex is allowed to build up beyond 1 level.

As I correct to assume that we could approach someone in the council and ask what would be allowed in a block adjacent to a unit complex as far as how close to the boundaries a future building would be allowed to be built up ? A unit we were considering has a house next door which, obviously, will be developed one day, but views will only be impacted if they build close to the side and/or rear boundary.

Regards,
Mike

From Mike Trikilis to local councillor Tim Dwyer

=========================================================================

Mike Trikilis posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Mike Trikilis and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 35 Saltair St, Kings Beach, QLD

Description: Multiple Dwelling Units x 35 - Rise Projects Services

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/745840?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Tim Dwyer
Date
Jan. 13, 2017, 9:27 a.m.
Dear Mike,
I can certainly help organise a discussion between yourself and a senior officer from the Planning Department.
The officer can work through the process they follow when considering all the relevant matters, for example, bulk and scale(relates to setbacks-front/side/rear, site cover).
In regard to the word "unreasonable", the officer will provide the context of it's use in the Scheme as it relates to the various levels of assessment.(Exempt/Self Assessable/Code Assessable/Impact Assessable). The officer will also be able to give guidance on how different sections of the Scheme must be read in a 'collaborative manner' to provide a full comprehension of the Scheme's intent for a specific location/planning zone.
Many people rely on advice from a real estate agent as part of their due diligence for the purchase of a property. This advice should always be balanced by engaging a planning professional and/or a planning officer from the relevant local government.

Please call my office on 54208965 when you're ready and speak with Sharon or I to get something sorted out.

Thanks Mike. Tim.

Regards
Cr Tim Dwyer
Deputy Mayor
Councillor ? Division 2
Sunshine Coast Council

Ph: 07 5420 896<tel:07%205420%208969>5
Mob: 0418 348 896<tel:0418%20348%20896>
Email: <mailto:>
Website: www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au<http://www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/>
Mail: Locked Bag 72, Sunshine Coast Mail Centre Qld 4560

Please consider the environment before printing this email
Sunshine Coast Regional Council, Councillor confidential email. Council intellectual property rights subsist in this email. If you have received this email in error, please notify the author. Any form of review, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email is prohibited without the express permission of the author.

On 12 Jan 2017, at 20:36, Mike Trikilis <<mailto:>> wrote:

Dear Tim,

Thank-you so much for your very prompt and informative reply.

We currently live in the Gold Coast Hinterland, and have watched the Gold Coast develop with horror as the skyscrapers each continue to unreasonably impact on the views and amenity of previous developments. There is no end in sight to this, and my hope was to consider a move to Sunshine Coast where we believe the council to be more community focused, and less developer driven.

That is why I was trying to decode the 2014 Sunshine Coast planning scheme "development ensures that there is no unreasonable loss of amenity for surrounding premises ..." it certainly sounds nice, but it seems that in the real world, it does not have much meaning, and no real teeth.

You are 100% correct when you point out that the 1st development of a unit complex which impacted surrounding properties started a precedent that means future development can not be reasonably objected based on a loss of amenity/views... however why bother putting this in the planning scheme at all since the only way anyone could object successfully is if the development is somehow in breach of other planning rules that are not directly related to the loss of surrounding properties amenities/views.

I really hope the people who will be impacted on this development are able to get some compromise from the developer... good luck guys.

Due Diligence is most important, however even that is not enough to predict how close to a front/side/real boundary a unit complex is allowed to build up beyond 1 level.

As I correct to assume that we could approach someone in the council and ask what would be allowed in a block adjacent to a unit complex as far as how close to the boundaries a future building would be allowed to be built up ? A unit we were considering has a house next door which, obviously, will be developed one day, but views will only be impacted if they build close to the side and/or rear boundary.

Regards,
Mike

From Mike Trikilis to local councillor Tim Dwyer

=========================================================================

Mike Trikilis posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Mike Trikilis and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 35 Saltair St, Kings Beach, QLD

Description: Multiple Dwelling Units x 35 - Rise Projects Services

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/745840?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
´╗┐