Planning application at 36 Struan Av Warradale

Cr Nathan Prior sent a message to Nathan Prior.

To
Nathan Prior
From
Cr Nathan Prior
Subject
Planning application at 36 Struan Av Warradale
Date
May 23, 2018, 10:54 a.m.
Hi All,
There are a few things to consider here and I will try not to write an essay...... although this often deserves it. This is a general statement about the current state of play, not specifically about this development.

Regarding the policy, Marion Council is responsible for setting the policy and the State Government then gets to amend and approve to make it official. This gives them the power to overrule anything we try to do to reduce densities.
Once the policy is set and approved by the Stage Gov, the CAP will measure proposed developments on how they fit within the policy and there is very little that the local councillors can do about this. At best, represent in the CAP meeting but in my experience this achieves only minor corrections to plans.

The current plan is allowing this overdevelopment and there is nothing we can do about it except submit another development plan to the minister........ Which is what we have been working on in Marion to the point that we recently submitted a city wide plan to the State Government, one where we have tried to reduce densities in problem areas in the council. So far we have not had a reply,

In a bigger picture view, I actually think that we are going about this the wrong way in the higher density areas too. Making smaller and smaller blocks is not the answer. I would prefer to see apartment style living with undercroft parking and shared services around our major infrastructure. At least trying to minimise the impact to those who wish to remain in the area in normal houses. The problem is how do you write this into a policy? and if we got it into policy how do we ensure that we get the development we want in the locations we want?

At the moment it is the market dictating what is to be built..... whereas I think it should be our policy. People (with two cars!) are buying these houses with single garages... if people just stopped buying then them the developers would get the message soon enough. Mind you I have been at odds with the panel a number of times regarding the on street and visitor parking allowances. We often round down # parks when we should be rounding up.

Regards,
Nathan

From Cr Nathan Prior to local councillor Nathan Prior

=========================================================================

Cr Nathan Prior posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Cr Nathan Prior and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 36 Struan Av Warradale

Description: Four Two Storey Row Dwellings and two Single Storey Group Dwelling

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/1001400?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts

Future replies will be published here.

´╗┐