Planning application at 512-542 Spencer Street West Melbourne VIC 3003

Richard Cottrill sent a message to Cathy Oke.

To
Cathy Oke
From
Richard Cottrill
Subject
Planning application at 512-542 Spencer Street West Melbourne VIC 3003
Date
Feb. 14, 2017, 6:41 a.m.
What is the position of the Greens on the spread of high-rise buildings through the surrounds of the CBD?

I understand that this proposal has been lodged with the planning minister, so I believe it's planned to be large enough to bypass Melbourne City planning regulations (as seen at http://www.smh.com.au/business/property/cbus-stumbles-over-west-melbourne-tower-20151102-gkp0bu.html ) . The only way this could be the case, is if it's a high-rise (more than 4 storeys, as the planning overlay suggests) building.

The high-rise buildings of the city are being installed further north from the CBD, through the Arden corridor. The impact of this change is the destruction of the low-rise neighbourhoods of West Melbourne.

Are the Green in favour of destroying the low-rise neighbourhoods that surround the CBD?

From Richard Cottrill to local councillor Cathy Oke

=========================================================================

Richard Cottrill posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Richard Cottrill and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 512-542 Spencer Street West Melbourne VIC 3003

Description: Use and development of land for the purposes of a mixed use building emcompassing 3 retail tenancies, a supermarket, and dwellings with a reduction in parking requirements and waivering of loading bay

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/771810?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Cathy Oke
Date
Feb. 22, 2017, 8:50 a.m.
Dear Richard,

Thanks for your email. Sorry for my delay, I've just been confirming some items you referred to..

The proposal you refer to is indeed a planning application to the Planning Minister, so the gross floor area must exceed 25,000sqm. Despite that, the City of Melbourne will be asked its views, and this will include a public, open Future Melbourne Committee meeting to consider our officers’ assessment of the application.

The four storey height control you mention is discretionary, and that is a major contributor to planning uncertainty in West Melbourne at the moment. Four storeys discretionary no longer means four or five or six storeys; it often means significantly more than that. A big catalyst for this has been Matthew Guy’s years as Planning Minister. With so many examples of built form that exceeds the discretionary heights, it is now becoming very difficult for Council to negotiate or approve well-designed buildings that integrate well with the prevailing neighbourhood character and meet community expectations. The current controls are out of date and are no longer fit for purpose, and that’s why Government has looked at different sorts of controls in other parts of the City of Melbourne in recent years, such as in Arden Macaulay (with a preferred-maximum and mandatory-maximum heights regime) and the Central City (with its density thresholds, above which clearly defined public benefits must be provided).

A new West Melbourne Structure Plan is due to be adopted this year, and it will set the direction for changes to the planning scheme including the built form controls. I hope you got to the session about this last weekend, I unfortunately was busy at another Council event but I understand the room was packed! If you haven't added your voice , please do so before the Structure Plan is drafted for public consideration: here is an interactive map and some ideas that the City of Melbourne is seeking public feedback on now -http://participate.melbourne.vic.gov.au/westmelbourne

Thanks for your email,

Cathy

Cr Cathy Oke

On 14 Feb 2017, at 5:44 pm, Richard Cottrill <<mailto:>> wrote:

What is the position of the Greens on the spread of high-rise buildings through the surrounds of the CBD?

I understand that this proposal has been lodged with the planning minister, so I believe it's planned to be large enough to bypass Melbourne City planning regulations (as seen at http://www.smh.com.au/business/property/cbus-stumbles-over-west-melbourne-tower-20151102-gkp0bu.html ) . The only way this could be the case, is if it's a high-rise (more than 4 storeys, as the planning overlay suggests) building.

The high-rise buildings of the city are being installed further north from the CBD, through the Arden corridor. The impact of this change is the destruction of the low-rise neighbourhoods of West Melbourne.

Are the Green in favour of destroying the low-rise neighbourhoods that surround the CBD?

From Richard Cottrill to local councillor Cathy Oke

=========================================================================

Richard Cottrill posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Richard Cottrill and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 512-542 Spencer Street West Melbourne VIC 3003

Description: Use and development of land for the purposes of a mixed use building emcompassing 3 retail tenancies, a supermarket, and dwellings with a reduction in parking requirements and waivering of loading bay

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/771810?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
This email is intended solely for the named addressee.
If you are not the addressee indicated please delete it immediately.