Planning application at 538 Whitehorse Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127

Russell Gray sent a message to Jane Addis.

To
Jane Addis
From
Russell Gray
Subject
Planning application at 538 Whitehorse Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127
Date
Feb. 3, 2017, 11:31 a.m.
This is a ridiculous application as there is already a existing large bottle shop right across the road from the site of this applicant on the corner of Union Road and Whitehorse Road. So it will fail commercially. There are already too many bottle shops in this area with Coles LiquorLand opening soon in Union Road close by the large existing one on the corner of Union and Canterbury Road!!
So I am totally against this application for the sale and consumption of liquor (bottle shop) 538 Whitehorse Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127.

From Russell Gray to local councillor Jane Addis

=========================================================================

Russell Gray posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Russell Gray and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 538 Whitehorse Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127

Description: Use of part of the site for the sale and consumption of liquor (bottle shop)

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/773986?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Jane Addis
Date
Feb. 6, 2017, 12:40 a.m.
Hello Russell

Thanks for your feedback. I will forward your concerns onto the officer assessing the application.

While I agree with you that the area does not need another bottle shop, the questions of need, competition or financial viability are not factors that can be used to guide Council in assessing an application. As strange as this may sound, there is a long list of Tribunal decisions that state that Council must assess every application on its merits despite the existence of other similar uses nearby.

Also Council is unable to choose which application it receives. Council is obligated under the Planning and Environment Act to accept every application it receives and assess it in accordance with any State and Local policies that may apply and make a decision. Any party aggrieved by Council's decision (objector or applicant) can appeal to VCAT should they wish to. My advice at this stage in the process is for you to lodge an objection to the application and participate in the decision making process.

Regards

Jane Addis
Councillor - Maling Ward

8 Inglesby Rd, Camberwell, Victoria, 3124
City of Boroondara
Telephone: (03) 9835 7845 | Mobile: 0409 267 902

Web: www.boroondara.vic.gov.au

Integrity I Collaboration I Accountability I Innovation I Respect
´╗┐