Planning application at 84 Samsonvale Road, Strathpine QLD 4500

Jeffrey Mark Mears sent a message to Mick Gillam.

To
Mick Gillam
From
Jeffrey Mark Mears
Subject
Planning application at 84 Samsonvale Road, Strathpine QLD 4500
Date
May 9, 2019, 4:01 a.m.
Thank you for the opportunity to voice my and a lot of the ageing population in the areas opinions.
There appears to be a lack of retirement options in the area causing a lot of elderly people to stay in there homes longer than they would like to. My concern is for their safety, as a lot of the older homes are high-set where they have stairs to navigate on a daily basis.
I do understand that their are places that they could go to out of their area, but that would mean leaving an environment that they love including their doctors and other healthcare providers, shops,transport and friends and family in some cases.
I know first hand how this can effect older people, as my parents were forced to move to Caboolture years ago to find a suitable retirement village with the options right up to the nursing home where they both eventually passed away in. They had to isolate themselves from family and friends to achieve there goal.

From Jeffrey Mark Mears to local councillor Mick Gillam

=========================================================================

Jeffrey Mark Mears posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Jeffrey Mark Mears and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for 84 Samsonvale Road, Strathpine QLD 4500

Description: Reconfiguring a Lot - Development Permit for Subdivision (4 into 108 lots)

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/1186335?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Mick Gillam
Date
May 9, 2019, 6:10 a.m.
Hi Jeffrey,
Thanks very much for your email.
This problem is very much on Council's mind as well. All care is provided by private enterprise so what Council has done is to provide incentives for them to build more care facilities in our area. Unfortunately they always look at the economics of the situation before they build.
At present we only have Anam Cara and Pinewoods in the central Pine area to cope with the ever increasing number of older Aussies of which I am growing closer to every year.
I would dearly love to see another one or two facilities in this area as you are correct, most of our elderly have to move outside the area.
The incentives I spoke of were an amount of $10M to developers to build either high rise or retirement type facilities in areas where council deemed we needed them. There was only one application for a retirement home unfortunately.
We still have money in the incentives budget should anyone come along. Hopefully they will.
An excellent spot would be the land down behind Westfields at Strathpine.
I live in hope.
Best wishes,
Mick
´╗┐