Planning application at Hardimans Hotel 521-535 Macaulay Road Kensington VIC 3031

Rick Harvest sent a message to Rohan Leppert.

To
Rohan Leppert
From
Rick Harvest
Subject
Planning application at Hardimans Hotel 521-535 Macaulay Road Kensington VIC 3031
Date
Aug. 13, 2016, 11:45 a.m.
Please No. This is a local landmark. It should also be saved for heritage reasons - it is after all a lovely art deco building basically. We have enough new tiny residential developments in the area already and not nearly enough infrastructure to support it.
NO NO NO

From Rick Harvest to local councillor Rohan Leppert

=========================================================================

Rick Harvest posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Rick Harvest and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for Hardimans Hotel 521-535 Macaulay Road Kensington VIC 3031

Description: Proposed change of use to residential, alterations to property to allow 3 townhouses and penthouse apartment

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/703237?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Rohan Leppert
Date
Aug. 13, 2016, 2:12 p.m.
Hi Rick

The building has a heritage overlay so the application will have heritage implications, yes.

More significantly though Hardimans is in a Commercial Zone, so while residential uses are permitted there would need to be a strong case made to convert the entire building to residential apartments, one would have thought. The ground floor in particular is meant to remain for Commercial uses under the zone, but these things are discretionary. I haven't seen plans yet so don't want to preempt a proper assessment, and note that all we've got so far is a one sentence description (and in any event if this comes to Council I'm not allowed to express a view on the application lest I create a conflict of interest due to pre-determining a position and creating a reasonable apprehension of bias). I will look at plans closely once they are prepared and formally advertised, and keep close eye on the application's progress.

As a musician and a local I'm worried about the potential loss of a local venue that has a track record of supporting live music and musicians (but these factors are not in and of themselves considerations under the planning scheme). Again, I'll be sure to scrutinize application closely when it comes to us.

All the best,

Rohan
This email is intended solely for the named addressee.
If you are not the addressee indicated please delete it immediately.
´╗┐