Planning application at Town Hall 18-28 St John Street Launceston TAS 7250

Daniel Ferguson sent a message to Emma Williams.

To
Emma Williams
From
Daniel Ferguson
Subject
Planning application at Town Hall 18-28 St John Street Launceston TAS 7250
Date
Feb. 20, 2017, 2:59 a.m.
I would like to comment on the plan to remove shade trees from Civic Square as part of this development application. I believe the proposal to remove these 4 trees is shortsighted and wrong.
Given the consensus in progressive cities now of how important it is to retain transpiring vegetation in cities, to the extent that now whole building are being designed and built with all four sides providing a treescape, I find it strange that this does not receive more consideration. This is quite apart from the obvious shade benefits mature trees give in an age where skin cancers are realistic possibilities.
Certainly plant more trees but please keep the existing ones for as long as possible until at least other trees have become well and truly established.

From Daniel Ferguson to local councillor Emma Williams

=========================================================================

Daniel Ferguson posted this message to you on PlanningAlerts in response to the following planning application.

Your reply, and any other response to this email, will be sent to Daniel Ferguson and posted on the PlanningAlerts website publicly.

Planning Application for Town Hall 18-28 St John Street Launceston TAS 7250

Description: Passive Recreation - public park; Community Meeting and Entertainment - community activities and events; redevelopment of Civic Square involving demolition, construction of new structures and associated works, vegetation removal and plantings, external lighting and community information signs

Read more and see what others have to say here:
https://www.planningalerts.org.au/applications/774354?utm_campaign=view-application&utm_medium=email&utm_source=councillor-notifications

Best wishes,

PlanningAlerts
From
Emma Williams
Date
Feb. 20, 2017, 4:15 a.m.
Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your email. The design that Council is working on approving for Civic Square includes additional trees as well as replacements for the trees to be removed. The trees to be removed from outside the library would be harmed by the activity, so they will be taken out and planted elsewhere in the city to ensure their survival, and the three spotted gums outside Henty House are a threat to infrastructure and will be taken out. These three trees are planned to be replaced with seven gums, planted in root guards so that the problem doesn't occur again. The trees taken from the library will be replaced with more trees than will be removed. I had heard someone in the public say that the myrtles were to be removed, but this is certainly not the case.
I would encourage you to contact council staff to have a chat about the details, but be assured that Council have already had this conversation.
Kind regards
Emma Williams
´╗┐